Thursday, February 4, 2010

Discovery, Simplicity, Trust



So, we found out on Monday, extremely unexpectedly and unforeseeably, that our Land Rover needs $4000 worth of work done to it to get it running again. It was perfect this past weekend, perfect Monday morning when J drove it work, but somehow self-destructed the flywheel when he started it to come home from work Monday evening. You can imagine how my prayers have sounded this week.

Well Tuesday I sat down with my kids to lunch and our 4 year old said our prayer for lunch... it went something like this:

"Dear Jesus,
Thank you for this food... and thank you for Daisy (our dog), and thank you for my trucks, and thank you for dirt... Amen."

A true boy thanking God for dirt! And as a kid, he's just simply thankful- like God asked us to be... over and over and over again...

Colossians 3:15- "...and be ye thankful"
Philippians 4:6- "...but in everything by prayer and thanksgiving let your requests be known unto God."
I Thessalonians 5:18- "In everything give thanks, for this is the Will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."

And on and on- all throughout the Bible.

So, my 4 year old just thanked God for dirt- he didn't even ask for more dirt, or a bigger pile of dirt, or a big yard with lots of dirt (we live in a townhouse and he has a very small rectangle in the landscaping to dig in)- he just thanked God for dirt. I have a lot to learn from this! It seems like, as adults we're always asking for more or better or bigger (even if it's for "better" for our kids!) instead of simply being thankful for what we have. I believe there is a reason Jesus loves children and tells us to be like them... "Dear Jesus, thank you for dirt"...

So Lord, thank you that we have a second car that J can drive to work, thank you that we live within walking distance of a grocery store so I don't have to have a vehicle right now, thank you for always providing food and a nice warm house for us to live in, thank you for my beautiful kids and how sweet they are, thank you for my wonderful husband and our relationship, thank you for family and friends, and laughter, and mountains, and fun, and for saving us and for giving us hope, and thank you that this $4000 and this vehicle is not the most important thing in the world and that everything will be OK... because we have You.
Lord we love you, and praise you, and THANK you.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome perspective Tiff! I'm so glad you're blogging!!! :) Love ya! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I LOVE this post! :) Well said!

    I'm Renee. I'm a friend of Sarah's (KingdomMama) and I found you through her blog. She visited our house the night after she met you. She mentioned that ya'll were talking about open positions at your husband's work place. I wondered if I could call you and ask more about that - if they still exist. My husband could use some more options right now.

    You can get to know me at www.queridafamiliablog.blogspot.com and you can email me at reneeporras@marykay.com. I'd be really grateful for your help.

    Have a great day and thank you for the reminder to be thankful! I really needed it today. :)

    In Him,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete